We’re sorry for your loss. Though this is a difficult time, it’s crucial to report the death of a military retiree promptly. Please follow the steps below to report the death as soon as possible.
When to Report a Retiree's Death
Please report the retired service member’s death as soon as possible. This will help avoid delay and possible financial hardship to surviving beneficiaries, family members or executors, who will be required to return any unearned military retirement payments. Eligibility for military retired pay ends with the death of the retiree.
What You Need
• Retiree’s name, Social Security Number and date of death
• Death certificate showing cause of death
• Names of retiree’s designated beneficiaries
How to Report a Retiree's Death
1 . Complete a Notification of Death Fast Form. Upon notification, DFAS will stop monthly payments to prevent overpayment. If you need help completing the form, please read the form instructions. If you cannot complete the Notification of Death form, call DFAS at 800-321-1080. Please have the decedent's Social Security Number and the date of death when you call.
2. Within 7-10 business days after reporting the death to DFAS, you should receive a letter containing the following documents:
• SF1174 Claim for Unpaid Compensation of Deceased Member of the Uniformed Service
• Annuity account forms and instructions (if the decedent was enrolled in the Survivor Benefit Plan or the Retired Serviceman's Family Protection Plan)
3. Complete the forms you received with your letter and return them with a copy of the retiree’s Death Certificate that includes cause of death to:
DFAS U.S. Military Retired Pay
P.O. box 7130 London, KY 40742-7130
If you need assistance completing your claim forms, please call 800-321-1080.
If you live near a military installation you may be able to receive help with a Casualty Assistance Officer (CAO) or Retired Activities/Affairs Officer (RAO). Please note that these services are not available at all military installations.
Gererate a Black Boarder
Paid-up Survivor Benefits Plan
Other Agencies You Should Contact
Apply for Survivor Benefit Plan Annuity
Apply for Arrears of Pay
Tricare Dental Program Survivor Benefit Plan
Anonymous - Confidential
James "Rick" Richards
Social Security Administration
Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System
Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
(if the retiree received disability compensation)
Office of Personnel Management
(if the military retiree also was a current or retired federal civilian employee)
(if the retiree was enrolled in a VA-sponsored life insurance policy, such as Veterans' Group Life Insurance or National Service Life Insurance)
Office of Service member's Group Life Insurance
(if the retiree was enrolled in Service member's Group Life Insurance)